Your smile is the first thing that people notice when they meet you. It can have a great effect on your confidence and happiness. Maintaining a healthy and beautiful smile is essential to improve your self-confidence and your overall health. The perfect smile is not achieved in a day. You need to practice good oral hygiene habits and follow some tips to improve the appearance of your smile.
Here are 7 easy ways to get a healthy and beautiful smile:
- Brush Twice a Day: Brushing your teeth twice a day helps your teeth stay healthier and whiter. How you brush your teeth is also important. Place the bristles at a 45-degree angle toward the gum line and make small and gentle strokes. This helps in removing most of the plaque and keeping your gums healthy.
- Floss Everyday: Flossing daily helps prevent tooth decay and gingivitis as it removes plaque between teeth and below the gum lines. It's important that you floss properly. If you notice bleeding during flossing, it may be a sign of gum disease. The bleeding may stop after 2 weeks if it is associated with mild to moderate gum disease.
- Limit Exposure to Staining Substances: Avoid smoking and drinks like tea, coffee, and red wine which can stain your teeth. They also cause internal staining into the tooth enamel. Drink through a straw to reduce staining and the risk of tooth decay. Rinse your mouth with water to avoid the staining materials sit on your teeth for a longer period.
- Try Whitening Treatments: There are many teeth whitening products available- toothpastes, rinses, strips, over-the-counter trays, and laser whitening but choose them carefully depending on your needs. You can also try home whitening treatments. Check with your dentist before going for any whitening treatment.
- Drink Plenty of Water: Water supports the remineralization of your teeth and helps flushing out bacteria from your teeth and gums reducing the risk of tooth decay. Drink plenty of water to prevent chapped or cracked lips and get a beautiful smile. Ensure that the water has the recommended level of fluoride as it promotes healthy teeth and prevents tooth decay.
- Visit Your Dentist Regularly: Visit your dentist every six months for routine checkups and cleanings. Routine cleanings prevent periodontal disease which is linked to other health problems like diabetes, heart attack, stroke and premature births. Regular checkups help your dentist identify early signs of any disease.
- Consider Dental Treatments: Get dental treatments whenever required. If you have tooth decay, get it treated early to prevent major problems later on and to keep the treatment cost down. You can get dental veneers, bridges, dentures or implants to completely change the appearance of your smile.
Form good oral hygiene habits to get the smile you always wanted!
Related Post: "Best Practices to Maintain Your Dental Health"